Dental hygiene is essential in preventing decay and gum disease, and maintaining a lifetime of oral health.
Minchinbury No Gap Dental now offers the services of a qualified Dental Hygienist. Our highly trained professional will monitor your oral health and help you to prevent problems rather than treating them many years later. Depending on the health of your teeth and gums, you may need to visit the hygienist every three, six or twelve months.
If you are concerned about keeping your children free of tooth decay our hygienist can place fissure seals in their teeth. This involves painlessly placing a protective coating in the pits and crevices of the teeth to prevent food getting stuck in deep sections that a toothbrush can't get to.
Your Dental Hygienist can:
- Review your medical history
- Assess your gum health
- Screen for oral cancer
- Find potential problems with diagnostic imaging or x-rays
- Evaluate your bite, chewing and swallowing patterns
- Identify the cause of bad breath (if appropriate)
- Thoroughly clean and polish your teeth
- Assess existing dental restorations
- Evaluate possible cosmetic enhancements of your smile
- Apply decay preventing agents, such as fissure seals
- Give individual oral hygiene instruction including tooth brushing and flossing, counselling in proper nutrition and recommendations for future treatment
- Refer you to specialists for specific treatment (as needed)
Visiting a dental Hygienist is also a great alternative to seeing a specialist Periodontist to have your gums treated for gum disease and gingivitis.
You will get an appointment much more quickly than waiting to see a specialist and it will also be less expensive. However, in severe cases, you may still need to be referred to a specialist.